Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Literature: A Wanderer's Song

It's my birthday, so I'm taking it easy today. Rather than speak for myself, I'll let John Masfield tell you how I feel with his beautiful poem, "The Wanderer's Song":

A wind's in the heart of me, a fire's in my heels,
I am tired of brick and stone and rumbling wagon-wheels;
I hunger for the sea's edge, limit of the land,
Where the wild old Atlantic is shouting on the sand.

Oh I'll be going, leaving the noises of the street,
To where a lifting foresail-foot is yanking at the sheet;
To a windy, tossing anchorage where yards and ketches ride,
Oh I'll be going, going, until I meet the tide.

And first I'll hear the sea-wind, the mewing of the gulls,
The clucking, sucking of the sea about the rusty hulls,
The songs at the capstan at the hooker warping out,
And then the heart of me'll know I'm there or thereabout.

Oh I am sick of brick and stone, the heart of me is sick, 
For windy green, unquiet sea, the realm of Moby Dick;
And I'll be going, going, from the roaring of the wheels,
For a wind's in the heart of me, a fire's in my heels.

Header: Cloud Bank Over a Choppy Sea by Carl Larsson c 1882 via Old Paint

3 comments:

Timmy! said...

Happy Birthday, Pauline! That is a beautiful peom and painting. Very fitting for a pirate, my captain.

Riverbank Images Ireland said...

Happy Birthday,and thank you for a great poem which I have not seen before.A proper poem with rhythm and rhyme.Love the site.
Tony Lawlor,
Youghal,
Ireland.
p.s.
Youghal is where most of the film of Melvilles "Moby Dick" was made.

Pauline said...

Timmy! I love this poem; just been saving it for the right moment and the moment is now.

Pam: Thank you so much :)

Tony: Thank you, too. How wonderful to have a visitor from the land of (some) of my ancestors. And now I know just how beautiful Youghal is thanks to that last bit of info!