Friday, May 4, 2012

Booty: A World of Adventure

Google, whose trademark “doodles” have become a staple of our Internet-centric lifestyles, is currently finishing up a contest for school-age young people from around the U.S. The kids were tasked with drawing a “Google doodle” and then giving a brief description of their design for consideration. The finalists from across the country are up, and Internet voting is open through May 10.


Allow me to point you in the direction of the doodle above, featuring a theme familiar to all the Brethren: Vikings.

This beautiful piece of artwork was penned by the obviously talented Cynthia Edison who is a junior at a New Jersey high school. Of her doodle (hardly a fair word – I’d call that a painting), Cynthia writes:

If I could travel in time, I'd visit the age of the Vikings. Though their tales of monsters may not have been entirely true, they were some of the greatest explorers in history. It would be a remarkable experience to share adventures and discover new lands with them.

And, if I may humbly add, collect booty! Great explorers they were, and great pirates as well.

My favorite part of Cynthia’s art piece is the map of the North Sea, including Scandinavia, Iceland and Greenland, which traces the routes by which the Vikings left safe harbor and went out into an unknown world.

I feel compelled to officially endorse Cynthia’s breathtaking tribute to our Viking ancestors as Triple P’s Google Doodle contest finalist of choice. Click over and vote, won’t you?  And while you're there, vote for one in each age group.  There are some talented kids out there, thank goodness.

Header: Viking Google Doodle by Cynthia Edison

4 comments:

Capt. John Swallow said...

Voted...did ye miss this one from Gr. 2?
http://bit.ly/jme91I

There's one o' a New Orleans Jazz Band (circa 1970...'cause ye know that's ancient history for kids in Gr. 4/5 LOL
http://bit.ly/jX4RSv

Pauline said...

I did see those; and I have to say I really do love them all. There are some very - very! - talented kids out there. Keep up the good work y'all. I was just attracted to Cynthia's angry Kraken for some reason...

And yeah - 19-what?

Timmy! said...

Ahoy, Pauline! I voted too. I love that Kracken and the Viking ship... Vinnland!

I like the ones the good Captain Swallow pointed out as well. nice work by all these kids.

Pauline said...

It's nice to see Google, whose tenticles seem to be in everything, encouraging creativity.