Friday, December 18, 2009

Booty: A Good Read Of A Long Night

We talked about books for the little buccaneers last week under the flag of "Booty". They were all good, and as enjoyable for adults as for kids, but today it's time for reading of a different sort. Here, Brethren, are your humble hostess' top four pirate books for big kids.

David Cordingly's Under a Black Flag is, as of this writing, the definitive work about a piratical life at sea. Many other books reference Cordingly and rightly so. He is extremely knowledgeable and his research is excellent. His style is conversational, though, so the academia doesn't get in the way. If you haven't read a book about pirates, this is a great place to start.
The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks, which is now in paperback, is the fascinating story of America's first war on foreign soil. Held in Tripoli by the Algerian Dey, the crew of USS Philadelphia had little hope of rescue. President Jefferson wasn't going to be pushed around, however, and he sent an elite force of US Marines led by William Eaton to rescue the sailors and potentially overthrow the Algerine government. It's a rousing tale and one that was going to be a movie before 9/11 made this perceived "anti-Islam" moment in history too hot to touch. Read the book and find out why that's a bucket of bilge water.
Next we have The Pirates Laffite. Guess which of these offerings is Pauline's favorite? How did you know? William C. Davis, one of our foremost American historians and a Southern gentleman to boot, brings us the true and untempered story of Jean and Pierre Laffite. Davis is a master storyteller and, though his research is so exhaustive it makes me sleepy, this book is a page turner. Don't believe anything anyone who hasn't read and absorbed this book ever tells you about the Laffites and their ilk. They don't know what they're talking about. Period.
And, on the distaff side, there is Joan Druett's She Captains. Druett, much like Cordingly, is an expert on the history of seafaring and she brings all her knowledge to bare in this wonderfully written book. From ancient history to the modern day, Druett follows in the wake of women at sea. And there have been a lot of them, believe me.
There are my suggestions for the curious privateer in your life. Or maybe it's time to reward yourself after all that shopping and wrapping. Winter is always a wonderful time to curl up with a good read. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Timmy! said...

Ahoy, Pauline! Wait, no Jane Lucas Degrummond (sp?)??? I knew you would have to include Bill Davis. Other than "Professor Rusty" he's got to be your favorite historian regularly featured on The History Channel. Am I not correct in saying that? Thankee, Pirate Queen!

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Timmy! I would have included "The Baratarians and the Battle of New Orleans" by Dr. de Grummond but, in all fairness, it's not really "piraty". Plus it's out of print. But you are correct, sir. Other than Kelly Devrees of Loyola University (be thankful I don't live near you, Doctor), William C. Davis is my favorite historian!

Blue Flamingo said...

Thanks for giving us a top four list. I think they all look interesting, but the Pirates Laffite, is the one that has caught my eye, not only by title and your description, but also the artwork on the cover. Who says you can't choose a book by its cover?

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Blue Flamingo! It's a great book on all levels and I can't recommend it enough. So many tid-bits in there that most people don't know not just about the Laffite boys but about American history in general. I saw it in the "pirate" section at Title Wave last time I was there! (And the cover painting is by Edward Arnold dated 1858 and entitled "American Navy Frigate of Lafitte's Privateer Attacking a Merchant Vessel". Nice romantic touch with the Jolly Roger there, Ed.

Ozarklorian said...

Hi Pauline, I'm glad Dr. De Grummond's book about the Baratarians was mentioned favorably, too. She was my mentor years ago. I'm a good friend of Jack Davis', so was very pleased to see such great reviews of his "Pirates Laffite" book. Have you seen any of the quarterly Chronicles published by the Laffite Society of Galveston? Lots of current historical articles about the Laffites and associates can be found in it.

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Ozarklorian! Welcome aboard! I hope to see you often round these parts. I'm frankly feeling a little like "Lucky Pauline" right now between you and Pam Keyes. As I said to my first mate, if Mr. Davis stops by I'll swoon. I frequently check in at the Laffite Society website for news and notes and am considering joining. Since I am continually doing research for my novels (about privateering in and around the Gulf early in the 19th century), they have been a godsend. And so are you! As I said to Pam, feel free to email me anytime. Would love to chat, about Dr. De Grummond and your particular friend. I admire them both extremely.

Ozarklorian said...

Um, Pauline, Ozarklorian and Pam Keyes are one and the same :) I had forgotten my Google id temporarily when I first posted, as I was so excited about finding a relative of Beluche's. As for Davis, I can guarantee you he will likely stop by, as I will email him pronto. But it might be a few days, as he is socked in with a major snowfall and outages in Virginia.. P.S._I see where you like the Buccaneer movie. Which one? I'm a giant fan of the 1958 Yul Brynner version, and have a huge collection of stuff from it, including one of Brynner's leather vests from the Battle of New Orleans scenes.

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Ozarklorian (I like that!)! Dang, girl. I'm all tingly. If the Saints win it'll be like a trifecta of bliss for me. I am a fan of "The Buccaneer" - both of them! Here's the kicker: my husband (Tim Bryner; original spelling) is relate to Yul! Send me a pic of the vest if you think about it. Can't. Love it. Enough.!!!

Ozarklorian said...

Oh, that's cool, Pauline! The 1958 Buccaneer is what started me on a lifelong quest to learn everything I could about Jean Laffite. I saw the movie more than 40 years ago as a child. Since Davis inspired me to do more research, I have uncovered some interesting new details about the Laffites and their associates, and am currently working on a small book myself about the British off the coast of New Orleans in 1813. The Baratarians whipped a British warship in a sea battle then...As for the photo of the vest, how do I post a photo to the comments?

Timmy! said...

It's true, it's all true... apparently, according to my late father's genealogical research we are related to Yul, who's last was originally spelled Bryner, but he changed it to Brynner since everyone pronounced it that way anyway... Just ask Pauline, what happened when the Priest who married us pronounced us "Mr. and Mrs. Brynner"...